I was in a conversation with a friend and we were discussing watching a bird in a bird house and the pleasure that they received by watching this simple event.
It reminded me the simple things in life have often given me pleasure as well and I began to think of those things. Here are a few of them:
- Setting under a shade tree on a hot summer day with a gentle cooling breeze blowing to ease the heat
- Working in the dirt to plant flowers ,watering them, and then seeing them grow and blossom
- Holding a newborn baby in your arms and talking silly
- Holding hands
- Having a 3-year-old sit in your lap as you read to them
- Listening to the impulse sprinkler as you water your yard
- The smell of freshly cut grass or the smell of rain
- Having your dog lay his head in your lap
- Reaching for something on the top shelf to help someone in the grocery
- Receiving a hug
- Reading the Bible just because you enjoy it
- The smell of freshly cleaned and ironed clothes
- The smell of a watermelon cut open and the anticipation of that first bite
- A good nap after working hard all day
- A hot shower
- A glass of fresh clean water to quench a thirst
- The joy of having your family with you
- Holding a door open for the elderly or for a lady
- Sharing a laugh
To the best of my knowledge, none of these things require an app. We live in a high pressure , high-tech, fast paced life. But we don’t have to ignore the simple things in life. Let me urge us to take time to appreciate what the Lord has provided.
“Be still, and know that I am God, I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth!” Psalm 46:10 ESV
What simple things would you add to my list?